Moogly
Creating Beautiful Things in Life: How to properly size crochet hats. Chart for correct sizing, including Magic Circle Sizes.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, January 17, 2013

How to properly size crochet hats. Chart for correct sizing, including Magic Circle Sizes.


Crocheting hats is something I know well. In my experience, getting the hat to fit properly without a model is not always easy. Most Beanies start of with a flat circle. The size of the circle depends upon the circumference of the head. Looking on the Internet I have found several Blogs that offered a chart   
to help in getting the proper size. The measurements for the circumference of the head and the corresponding sizing for the flat circle and hat height varied somewhat. Purchasing patterns can add to the frustration. I have had great differences for the same size between different designers.

To take the mystery out of fitting my hats, I started to keep a chart for the sizes I made the most. This was very helpful. I also did a lot of research into how to correctly size your flat circle and height of the hat. I found a formula that helps in getting the correct size. To figure out the diameter of your flat circle all you need to know is the circumference of the head. An adult woman's head averages about 22 inches. The formula is to divide your circumference by 3.14.

Head circumference 22 : 3.14 = 7.00 inches. Now you know your circle needs to be 7 inches. To get the correct height (from top of crown to bottom of the ear) you divide your circumference by 10 and multiply this number times 4.





Head circumference 22 : 10 = 2.2 x 4 = 8.8. So the hat height should be 8.8 inches. Hats are generally made about an inch smaller in circumference than the circumference of the head. This keeps the hat fitting snug and to keeps it from falling off. Most patterns generally have about an inch stretch to them. 

I am going to post the chart I made for myself. This is the chart I use to size the hats I make. It is a good reference and I hope it helps.  


Size Head Circumference Hat Circumference Crown Circle Diameter Hat Height -Top of Crown to Bottom of Ear
Preemie 1 – 2 pounds 9 – 10 inches/23 – 25 cm 7.5 – 8 inches/18 – 20 cm 1.75 – 2 inches/4 ½ – 5 cm 3 – 3.5 inches/ 8 – 9 1/2 cm
Preemie 2 – 3 pounds 10 – 11 ¼ inches/25 – 28 cm 8 1/2 – 10 inches/22 – 25 cm 2.0 – 2.25 inches/5 cm 3.5 inches/9 – 9 ½ cm
Preemie 4 – 5 pounds 11 ½ – 12 inches/28 – 30 cm 9 – 10 inches/23 – 25 cm 2.5 – 3 inches/ 6 ½ – 8 cm 3.5 – 4 inches/9 – 10 ½ cm
Preemie 5 ½ – 6 pounds 12 – 13 inches/30 – 33 cm 10 - 11 inches/25 – 28 cm 3.0 – 3.5 inches/7 ½ – 9 cm 4 – 4.5 inches/10 ½ – 11 ½ cm
Newborn 13 inches/33 cm 12 – 12.5 inches/30.5 – 32 cm 3.5 – 4.0 inches/9 – 10 ½ cm 4.5 – 5.5 inches/11 ½ – 14 cm
2 weeks – 3 months 14 inches/35.5 cm 13 – 13.5 inches/33 – 34.5 cm 4.45 – 4.75 inches/11-12.5 cm 5.5 – 6 inches/14 – 15 ½ cm
3 – 6 months 15 inches/36 cm 14 – 14.5 inches/35.5 – 37 cm 5 inches/ 13 cm 6 – 6.25 inches/15 ½ – 16 cm
6 – 9 months 16 inches/40.5 cm 15 inches/36 cm 5.25 inches/14 cm 6.25 – 6.5 inches/16 – 16 ½ cm
9 -12 months 16.5 inches/42 cm 15.5 inches/ 39.5 cm 5.25 – 5.5 inches/14 – 15 cm 6.5 inches/16 ½ cm
12-18 months 17 inches/43.5 cm 16 inches/ 40.5 cm 5.5 - 5.75 inches/15 cm 6.75 inches/ 17 ½ cm
18-24 months 18 inches/46 cm 17 inches/ 43.5 cm 5.75 – 6 inches/15 – 16 cm 7.25 inches/19 cm
2-5 years 18 – 19 inches/46 – 48.5 cm 17 – 18 inches/43.5 – 46 cm 6 – 6.25/16 cm 7.25 – 7.5 inches/ 19 cm
Child 19 – 20 inches/48.5 – 51 cm 18 – 19 inches/46 – 48.5 cm 6.25 – 6.5 inches/16 cm – 17 cm 7.75 – 8.0 inches/20 cm
Teen 20 – 21 inches/51 – 53.5 cm 19 – 20 inches/48.5 – 51 cm 6.5 – 6.75 inches/17 8.0 – 8.5 inches/20 – 22 cm
Adult Woman 22 inches/56 cm 21 inches/53.5 cm 7 – 7.5 inches/18 – 19 cm 8.75 – 9 inches/23 cm
Adult Man 23 inches/ 59 cm 22 inches/56 cm 7.5 - 8 inches/19 – 20 cm 9.25 – 9.50/23 ½ cm

My next post will show this formula in action. I have already completed the hat and taken some photos but still need to write the post. Stay tuned and have those crochet hooks ready! See you in a couple of days.

45 comments:

  1. This is such a comprehensive chart that seems to be more accurate than others I have seen. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I am trying to make some hats for my nieces and nephews, all of various ages, I was wondering how many rounds of increase would you do (working in sc) for NB, 3-6 months and 6-9 months? I just cant seem to get the sizes right :(
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To get a nice and even circle in sc you need to double the amount of increases for example to make an average sized adult beanie in dc you only need 6 increase rounds (including beginning round), but for sc you need to double it, so it would be 12 increase rows (including beginning round) the best way to increase it to count how many rows you have as you increase, for example I am on my 12th increase row in sc, so i need to do 10 sc then 2sc in the 11th = 12 make sense?

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing you advice with us. It has helped me so much x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachy, you would increase until the circumference measures 5" across

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circumference = distance around.
      Diameter = distance across.

      Sorry... I'm a math teacher, which makes me the math nazi of the internet. :)

      Delete
  5. Love it, Thanks a lot for sharing this chart with us... God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. I've been looking for a comprehensive hat chart for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chart is slightly off on sizing. I'm making a hat for my son who's only 8. His head measures 20.5" but to make the hat fit the beginning circle was only 6" across. This even makes for a loose fit that he can still grow into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to disagree with you. I have made hats of every size using this chart and they have all fit perfectly. If you have a loose tension then or a very stretchy stitch then this could be possible.

      Delete
  8. I've never thought of a chart. This was ingenious. You made it very simple to read and follow. Thank you so much for putting so much work into it and sharing with us. I will make a hat this week using your chart. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the chart, thank you! Quick question, I am wondering, is the diameter measurement taken after the final increase and one go around? I cannot tell from your photo above as I think you are crocheting in a circle rather than joining in each round.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I have been needing something like this soooo bad! Thanks for doing the time and research and posting it for us all! Thank you thank you thank you!~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for figuring all this out! I made a hat once that turned out more like a basket b/c my yarn was thicker than the pattern suggested and while I took out a few rows, it wasn't enough of an adjustment. >.<
    So many patterns specify by stitches vs size. This is a huge help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful, thank you so much!!! As someone who's been crocheting for 10+ years, I hate having to buy patterns for something as simple as a hat, but could never figure out the sizing. Thanks again! Bookmarking this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the chart, as I've really struggled with this. I do have a question. You stated, "Hats are generally made about an inch smaller in circumference than the circumference of the head." If that is the case, shouldn't the inch be subtracted from the head circumference before dividing it by 3.14? I don't see where you account for the inch difference. Thanks for any clarification you might offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharlene my head circumference is 56 cm, divided by 3.14 gives us 17,8,let's say 18 cm. I made the crown circle to be around 16 cm, so 2 cm or 1 inch smaller, and it fits great. Hope i helped!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the clarification. Let's see if I'm repeating correctly:
      Head Circumference / 3.14 = Diameter
      Diameter minus 2 cm (or 1 inch) = Adjusted Diameter
      Is that it?

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the Diameter of the crown, does it matter what type of stitch you use? Or just as long as you have reached the desired diameter? I know that the single crochet stitches have probably more rounds than the double crochets in a 6.5 inch diameter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Multiply by 2 for sc. In an average adult sized beanie in worsted (4) and a size H hook you need 6 increase round including the first round (a chain 2 and 11dc in circle of 5 chains) so with sc, we would double this, 12 increase rounds including beginning round. And we count as many stitches as there are rounds, I'm on my 12th increase round in sc so I need to do 10 scs and then 2 in the 11th stitch =12 make sense?

      Delete
  16. This is a fabulous chart and has helped me so much, I am desperately crocheting like made for christmas presents and I have had to discard a few hats as they turned out HUGE even though I was following the pattern .... thank you for this wonderful chart it was exactly what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a beginner and this charts helps me a lot. I do need to know what size hook to use for the preemies down to the 18-24 months and then for the teens I figured the other ones out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use this for all of my hats. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a help! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this, thank you so much for putting this together! It's incredibly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love this chart. It is amazingly accurate and has helped me out time and time again! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful and straightforward size guide for crochet hats! I love how not only have you figured out the flat circle diameter, but also the formula to figure out the height of the hat! I'm going to definitely be using your chart! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg, I have been needing something like this for forever! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey :) I was wondering if you would care if I copy and paste a portion of your chart into some of my etsy listings. I plan to put a link back to your page in each listing where I use any portion of the chart.

    I've tried to post this several times, so if it posts five times, I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Does the size of the hook make a difference or is it the tension of the stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for this chart and all the hard work you put into it. I have been looking for a chart just like this and all the others I came across didn't work like this one. You are amazing. Thank you so much. I am making a hat for my son that is in his first year of Bible College in CO...he left South Carolina to go out there so making a hat for him without him here has been a challenge. He has a smaller head than most men so I think if it fits me it will fit him. Again, thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was wondering the same thing, about the hook size. I like using an H hook.

    ReplyDelete
  29. sorry, to ask again, but wondering if there is a printer friendly version of the hat size chart so I can keep it handy in with my supplies. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can copy and past into your word program?

      Delete
    2. I did try that and it is all run together, not set up in a graph.. can't print the page either, must have a security setting on it..

      Delete
    3. Try print screening the image

      Delete
  30. Thank you so much, Honestly I was just thinking about this the other day, When I made a hat I measured the flat circle, because I was going to start recording my measurements. You Have taking all the work from me, and I love it!!!!! thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You could bookmark the page and it will be available any time you need it..

    ReplyDelete
  32. AWESOME! i was struggling to get the hats right ! always had to redo my work mostly i end up with smaller hats you really have done a great favor to a novice like me <3
    can't thank you enough.
    Also those who want to print the chart try tapping in the corner of the chart twice once a little section is selected, scroll down to the bottom of the chart, hold the shift key down and tap again on the opposite end of the chart and viola it'll select the whole chart. Copy paste on your word program and adjust the font to your liking.
    Anne thank you so much again!!! bless you <3

    ReplyDelete