Moogly
Creating Beautiful Things in Life: How to Crochet a Properly Sized Hat

Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, January 17, 2013

How to Crochet a Properly Sized Hat






Most basic Beanies or hats start of with a flat circle. The diameter of the circle determines the circumference
of the finished hat. The diameter of the circle is determined by the circumference of the head. In my previous post, I included a chart for the various sizes.

I crochet a hat to show you how to properly size a hat. I made mine to fit an infant 3 - 6 months. At this age the average infants head is a circumference of about 15 inches. My flat circle needs to be 5 inches.




If you are not a very experienced crocheter, getting a flat circle may sound a little intimidating but it is actually very simple. The formula I use depends a the stitch. If I crochet in a single crochet stitch I start with a circle of 6 stitches and evenly increase 6 stitches with every round. For half double crochet I start with 8 stitches and evenly increase 8 with every following round. For a circle with double crochet I start with 12 and increase 12 with every round. The yarn and hook size do make a difference. Worsted weight yarn can vary greatly size. With the thicker yarns, fewer increase rounds are needed. I do not join at the end of the row but I do use a stitch marker to mark the first stitch of every round on my increase rounds only. It gives a much neater finish without a seam showing.

The pattern I use is always the same. For instance if I work my circle with sc, rd. 1 would be 6. For round 2   I would have 2 stitches in every stitch of the previous round (12). Round 3: 1 sc in first stitch, 2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch...(18). Rd 4: 1 sc in the first 2 stitches than 2 sc in the 3rd stitch continue in this pattern for the round (24).  Round 4: sc in first 3 stitches, 2 sc in next. sc in nex 3 stitches, 2 sc in next...(30). Continue in this pattern until desired diameter is reached.

Once you have the correct diameter of the circle continue without further increases until your hat measures the correct height. Since I am working on a 3 - 6 months size, my hat should be about 6 inches in height.






When measuring the final circumference I had exactly 14 inches. Since the hat needs to be about an inch smaller than the circumference of the head, I was right on the mark. At this point you can add a small border around the edges for a Beanie, or add ear flaps.  To show the proper positioning of the ear flaps I included a few more photos.




    
Ear flaps are always attached to the back half of the hat. The corners of the ear flaps meeting with the corners of your hat. Notice the small space between the ear flaps in the back. I could have made them a little bit smaller for this size. Once you have one ear flap finished, simply fold the hat in half with the corner of the ear flap meeting with the corner of the fold. Insert crochet hook in the opposite corner and work the same number of stitches to the back half of the hat.

Once your ear flaps are done, finish the hat with a trim. I usually go all the way around with one round or two
of single crochets. I forgot to take a picture of the finished hat but I have one with a model. You have to forgive the fit. My doll only measures about 12 inches in diameter so the hat is about 3 sizes to big. But it does give you an idea of the correct placement of the ear flaps.



Leave me a message or a comment if you need help with any of your projects. My next post will follow very soon. Finishing touches for your hats. How to make Pom Poms and braids. Also since Valentines day is less than a month away, I am trying to put some of my crochet heart patterns in writing. I will share them with you as soon as I can get them on paper. Stay tooned!



















6 comments:

  1. For the formula of making a beanie, how would you increase with hdc? You said by 8, but can you lay it out like you did with the sc? Also, I'm trying to get the circle to 5.25 inches, but it keeps cupping. I need a full pattern, for a beanie using hdc. I'm very new to crocheting, and trying to make a cabbage patch hat!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use the same formula she used for the sc. Rd 2. 2Hdc in all 8Hdc(16). Rd 3. 1hd in first st 2hd in next. (24)Just change the sc to Hdc in the pattern example she posted. Hth

      Delete
  2. This may be a silly question, but I've been using your sizing chart to know how big my circle needs to be. Is there a general rule as to how many stitches (sc, dc, hdc, etc) to start out with in order to end up with the right sized circle? Or do you just increase until its the right size, hoping that it doens't get too long in the process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sc-start with 6 sc in beginning circle. For hdc-start with 8 sc in beginning circle. For dc-start with 10 dc in beginning circle.

      Delete
  3. My issue is more with getting the correct length. I find most patterns create a hat that's way too long. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have the pattern for the rest of the Deluxe Dragon with eyes, nose, mouth, fire? I love how that one looks. I would love to make it for my grandchildren. Thanks! Hope you have pattern.

    ReplyDelete